Sunday, January 27, 2013

An Outrageous Goal

 I've always had a fascination with writing in short hand. These days technology has become so advanced that we are able to take notes or send a message simply by speaking into a cell phone. Because of this, short hand has become a dying breed of written communication. It is an outrageous goal of mine to be able to write in short hand. To be able to write in an official code that has long been forgotten.
I discovered short hand from my Grandma who learned it while she was working as a secretary
She used short hand for other useful tasks even as a mother. She kept a diary during the period she was not teaching school, when her children were small. She would write entries, all in short hand, of the daily activities and occurrences of her life as a young mother. When making Christmas lists for her three children, she would write "Steve": ( and then the rest in short hand). This drove my dad and his brothers and sister crazy. I love for her to show me her diaries when I am visiting her and my Grandad.


No comments:

Post a Comment